I’ve seen several people put up their TBRs for the Year of the Asian challenge recently. At first I was unsure about participating, because I want to buy fewer books this year and read my owned books instead, and I don’t own most of the 2018-2019 releases that are on everyone’s TBRs. Plus, I’m already participating in 3-4 different yearly challenges and also have my own personal goals, so do I REALLY need another one?
Then I thought, I probably have tons of books on my owned TBR by Asian authors (or at least some), I just maybe don’t even know they are by Asian authors. So I decided to do some research and collect the books I own that qualify for the challenge. Some of these books are on my other challenge TBRs as well, which is good because I definitely couldn’t do this many without at least some overlap.
The Year of the Asian challenge has both monthly prompts, and challenge tiers. I don’t think I’ll actively participate in the monthly prompts, but maybe I’ll manage to do it at least a few times. As for the tier, I’m in love with the bengali tiger badge but there’s no way I’m going to read more than 50 books by Asian authors. 😦 I’ll be aiming for either the Indian Cobra (11-20 books) or the Malayan Tapir (21-30 books).
February’s prompt is tropes, which is good, because I might actually have a book for that one: The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang, which has the “practice relationship” trope. Based on the blurb, it doesn’t quite sound like fake dating, but I think it definitely counts as a trope.
This Twitter thread of cheap books by Asian authors is also pretty helpful!
This post will keep getting updated as I finish more books.
Already read in 2019:
- Polyamorous: Living and Loving More by Jenny Yuen (January)
- Angelfall by Susan Ee (February)
Books I own (including ARCs, and anthologies where not all authors are Asian):
- Blood Heir by Amélie Wen Zhao
- The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
- The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
- The Djinn Falls in Love & Other Stories (anthology)
- Ash by Malinda Lo
- Huntress by Malinda Lo
- American Panda by Gloria Cho
- The Girl King by Mimi Lu
- No More Heroes by Michelle Kan
- Like Nobody’s Watching by Tara Frejas
- His Cocky Valet by Cole McCade
- Deadline by Stephanie Ahn
Books I MIGHT find in my library/borrow/get for free (legally):
- When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
- Saints and Misfits by S.K. Ali
New releases/sequels I MIGHT break my buying ban for:
- Wicked Fox by Kat Cho
- The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang
- Ruse by Cindy Pon
- Not Your Backup by C.B. Lee
- Tell Me How You Really Feel by Aminah Mae Safi