Another month is over – in fact, summer’s last month is over. After a one-year break, I’m starting my Master’s this September, so I wanted to finish as much reading in August as I could, and the NEWTs reading challenge (link below) was a great opportunity.
I did pretty well in the first half of the month, then real life kicked in, and between working, preparing to move houses, preparing to start uni, volunteering at a music festival, personal conflicts, and impulsively deciding to have another go at playing the entire Assassin’s Creed series, reading kind of got pushed into the background. So, what are my final grades for the NEWTs?
Ancient Runes: –
Astronomy: Acceptable🌟 (Ignite the Stars)
Care of Magical Creatures: Outstanding 🌟🌟🌟 (The Benefits of Being an Octopus, Take Me Home, The Sun Dragon)
Charms: Outstanding 🌟🌟🌟 (Warrior, My Real Name is Hanna, How to Make a Wish)
Defense Against the Dark Arts: Outstanding 🌟🌟🌟 (Exit Strategy, Dealing with Dragons, Odakint sötétebb)
Herbology: Outstanding 🌟🌟🌟 (Not Her Daughter, Poe Dameron Vol. 2, Still Waters)
History of Magic: –
Muggle Studies: –
Potions: Acceptable 🌟 (Poe Dameron: Black Squadron)
Transfiguration: Exceeded Expectations 🌟🌟 (Rogue Protocol, Sadie)
I was originally aiming for five Outstanding grades, specifically in Astronomy, Care of Magical Creatures, Charms, Herbology and Transfiguration, because those are four of my favourite subjects from Hogwarts Mystery + Astronomy because of the star/sci-fi prompts. In the end, I managed four Os, one E and two As.
If you’re curious what specifically I read for each challenge, check out my emoji list:
🏳️🌈 = book has a LGBTQAI+ main character
📚 = books that qualify for the backlist challenge we’re doing with Avery
🌍 = Around the World in 52 Books on Goodreads
👭 = Sapphic Book Club monthly (or bonus) read
🌷 = Lesbian Book Bingo by Jae
🍬 = Candybook Land by Elaine Howlin
🦎 = NEWTs reading challenge by Book Roast
As always, I’m linking up with Avalinah’s State of the ARC meme:
State of the ARC is a monthly meme at Avalinah’s Books meant to motivate you to finish up all your long overdue ARCs (Advanced or Early Reader Copies).
State of the ARC has a Goodreads groups ARCs Anonymous. Join it here.
- 🦎 Not Her Daughter by Rea Frey: 368 pages. 4🌟
- Greek Gods and Heroes: Meet 40 Mythical Immortals by Sylvie Baussier: 88 pages. 3🌟
- 🦎 The Benefits of Being an Octopus by Ann Braden: 256 pages. 5🌟
- 🏳️🌈 🦎Sadie by Courtney Summers: 378 pages. 4🌟
- 🍬🦎 My Real Name is Hanna by Tara Lynn Masih: 208 pages. 4🌟
- 🦎 Ignite the Stars by Maura Milan: 400 pages. 4🌟
- 🏳️🌈🍬 Learning Curves by Ceillie Simkiss: 70 pages. 5🌟
- 🦎 Rogue Protocol by Martha Wells: 160 pages. 5🌟
- 🦎 Exit Strategy by Martha Wells: 176 pages. 5🌟
And now for the books that weren’t review copies:
- 🦎 Poe Dameron, Vol. 1: Black Squadron by Charles Soule: 144 pages. 4🌟
- 🦎 Poe Dameron, Vol. 2: The Gathering Storm by Charles Soule: 144 pages. 4🌟
- 🏳️🌈 📚🦎🌷 Take Me Home by Lorelie Brown: 160 pages. 2🌟
- 🏳️🌈 🦎 Still Waters by Alex Gabriel: 63 pages. 4🌟
- 🏳️🌈 📚🦎 WARRIOR: a collection of short stories by multiple authors: 230 pages. 4🌟
- 🏳️🌈 📚🦎 The Sun Dragon by Annabelle Jay: 180 pages. 4🌟
- 📚🦎 Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede: 208 pages. 4🌟
- 🏳️🌈 📚🦎🌷How to Make a Wish by Ashley Herring Blake: 336 pages. 4🌟
- 📚🦎🌍 Odakint sötétebb by Attila Veres: 272 pages. 3🌟
Favourite books this month:
- Rogue Protocol & Exit Strategy
- The Benefits of Being an Octopus
- Learning Curves
Reviews on the blog:
- Cold Like Snow: A Polyamorous Ghost Romance
- Sadie: A Brutal Read About Abused Children
- Learning Curves: A Fluffy, No-Drama F/F Novella with Ace, Pan, Lesbian and ADHD Rep
- The Benefits of Being an Octopus: A Clever and Brave Middle Grade Novel
- BOOK TAG | The Book Blogger Test
- BOOK TAG | Mulan Book Tag
- BOOK TAG |Anonymous Bookaholics
- BOOK TAG | 90s Movies
I might be less active on here once uni starts, but I’ll definitely try to keep reading and updating you people on what I’m doing.
So, how did your summer go?