There was a lot going on in June. For one, it was Pride month, so I tried to read as many books with queer MCs as I could – which wasn’t very different from my regular reading, actually. I was also participating in the #Marvel-A-Thon challenge organised by Jamishelves, which is divided into three Phases and has a total of 21 prompts.
Below, I’m going to mark everything with a queer main character with a rainbow flag, and everything read for #Marvel-A-Thon with a lightning bolt. But first, let’s look at the state of my ARCs.
State of the ARC is a monthly meme at Avalinah’s Books meant to motivate you to finish up all your long overdue ARCs (Advanced or Early Reader Copies). You can track your reading progress and link up with your own post. Most commonly it comes out on the 30th of every month.
Rules of State of the ARC:
- Mention that you’re linking up with State of the ARC @ AvalinahsBooks, which is a fun way to share our ARC progress, challenges, wins, woes and mishaps.
- Include the link to this post, or the current State of the ARC post.
- Don’t forget to visit all the other people in the link-up and comment.
- And most importantly – have fun!
State of the ARC has a Goodreads groups ARCs Anonymous. Join it here.
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 Into the Mystic, Volume 3 by NineStar Press: 213 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟 (anthology of sapphic paranormal stories)
- ⚡ Free Chocolate by Amber Royer: 400 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟 (soap opera in space!)
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 The Art of Escaping by Erin Callahan: 320 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟(a teenage girl wants to be an escape artist)
- ⚡ The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts: 192 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟 (a sci-fi novella about artificial intelligence)
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 Omen Operation by Taylor Brooke: 306 pages 🌟🌟🌟 (FOUR queer main characters)
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 You’re You by Mette Bach: 184 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟 (a contemporary about questioning your sexuality)
- 🏳️🌈 The Unbinding of Mary Reade by Miriam McNamara: 336 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟 (bisexual pirates!) (review to come in July)
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 Baker Thief by Claudie Arseneault: 424 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 Broad Knowledge edited by Joanne Merriam: 365 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- DNF: Sharp & Sugar Tooth
(The lesson is that I’m still horrible with my author ARCs. I have three that I received back in MARCH! Yikes. I hope to finally read and review those in July.)
Avalinah also has a bingo chart that you can try to fill with your ARCs until the end of the year! I’ve already completed some of the chart just this month, but I still have a few to go, and some of these (nonfiction, for example) will be pretty difficult.
With the ARCs out of the way, here’s a list of everything else I read this month:
- 🏳️🌈 Sugarplum, Ocean Deep, Wolf Blood & on the border by Darshana Suresh: 8, 29, 24 and 17 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 (wonderful poetry collections)
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 Goldie Vance Vol. 1 by Hope Larson: 112 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 (graphic novel about a teenage detective)
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 DC Comics: Bombshells Vol. 1: Enlisted by Marguerite Bennett: 200 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 (queer women punching Nazis!!)
- Goldie Vance Vol. 2 by Hope Larson: 112 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 The Ship of the Dead by Rick Riordan: 432 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟 (my beautiful genderfluid child is BACK)
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 Coady and the Creepies by Liz Prince: 112 pages 🌟🌟🌟 (triplet girls are in a popular punk band, only one of them is a ghost)
- Star Wars: Lando – Double or Nothing #1 by Rodney Barnes: 21 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- Skyward #1-#2 by Joe Henderson: 62 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson: 224 pages 🌟🌟🌟
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 Loki: Agent of Asgard Vol. 1: Trust Me by Al Ewing: 120 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- The Island by Peter Watts: 76 pages 🌟🌟🌟
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 Lumberjanes Vol. 1 by Noelle Stevenson: 128 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- ⚡ Star Wars: Lando by Charles Soule: 112 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- ⚡ Brave Chef Brianna by Sam Sykes: 112 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- Hotshot by Peter Watts: 23 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 Blackout by Kit Mallory: 345 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 Let’s Talk About Love by Claire Kann: 304 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- ⚡ 🏳️🌈 The Origins of Heartbreak by Cara Malone: 230 pages 🌟🌟
- When Magic Sleeps by Tera Lynn Childs: 41 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- The End of the World is Better with Friends by M.G. Herron: 42 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟
- ⚡ Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor: 349 pages 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
There weren’t many 5-star reads this month, but Akata Witch was great.
Non-review posts on the blog:
- Bookish Buzzwords
- Down the TBR Hole #7
- GUEST POST: How A Small Press Is Born
- #MarvelAThon Phase One Wrap-up
- I Spy Book Challenge
- The NetGalley Tag
- Pride Flag Book Tag
- PRIDE MONTH | Queer Characters I Adore
- #MarvelAThon Phase Two Wrap-up
- Sci-Fi July 2018
- My Ambitious July Plans: In Which I Do Like Four Challenges
- #MarvelAThon Phase Three Wrap-Up
- Summer TBR Wipeout Introduction + Graphic Novel Readathon
How did your June go? What was your favourite book this month?